Something has got me pondering and I'm curious to find out...Why do we create characters?
Do you guys create them for a particular reason (perhaps, say, a fandom?) Does something inspire you and give you an idea to create a character? Or perhaps they were a result of a half-minded doodle on a napkin.
Please share your thoughts with me. I want to know why you create the guys you have created.My own reasons:
- A majority of my characters (Laura, Poison, Clarisse, Stitches, Reptilia, even Emily) started out as fandom characters but have since then more or less branched off on their own premises.
- Jekyll and Hyde already exist, as an example of the personified alter ego. I simply wanted to make my own version, since it's one of my favourite stories.
- Wesley was created because I wanted to give the PTPPEs a mode of transportation. Never thought I'd love him as much as I do now.
- I have another collection of characters that I've had and have evolved since school. I've never properly shared them before but I'll give you an insight. Basically, for my GSCE Media project at school, I chose to create a comic book with a set of characters. I created a narcissistic, money-grubbing skeleton; a dopey walking pincushion with a giant pin through his head and a Barry White-esque toad doctor. How I got full marks for them, I will never know. I loved the universe so much, I created a whole bunch more and the premise and developed and changed since. Laura has also become a main fixture in this world as well, as the skeleton's on-off girlfriend. Personal favourites include a surly punk teen with the biggest hairdo ever; the skeleton's silver fox witch doctor dad; his grumpy foe who lives with him, who has been imprisoned in a witch doctor's mask (and weirdly has the hots for Laura); a tall Frankensteinian goth woman who says little to nothing and a strange demonic albino Tazmanian Devil-like creature who, I kid you not, came from a dream about a go-karting video game. Phew.
- As for my films…well, my characters tend to take on a life of their own once I start animating them.